Make a bowl out of old magazines!



Recently I discovered "A Little Hut", a blog about paper crafting by Patricia Zapata. It was voted the #1 Mom Craft Blog on Babble.com. Surfing the pages of her blog I saw that the recognition was well earned. The site catalogs a plethora of innovative paper designs with concise, easy-to-follow directions accompanying them. I urge you to check it out. You will be happy you did! Anyway, in my exploration I discovered a tutorial on making a bowl from old magazines! This was a perfect activity for me to do — sometimes I need a craft to do all on my own — for myself, and this one called to me. You can find directions here. Please go check it out, and leave her a little comment love. We all like it :)

Here is a visual walk-through of the process.


Simple materials needed — Magazines and a glue gun! That's it! The strips were made by folding the magazine pages in half 8 times length-wise.

The beginning coil. A thin bead of glue keeps it together.
I discovered the use of a clip not only keeps the fold of the leading magazine strip secure, but it also serves as a placeholder later on in the project.
When the coil base got to be about 5 inches in diameter, I started building the walls up gradually. (Raising the "walls" about an eighth of an inch at each go around.) Note that the neater side of the coil base should face up as this is the side people will mostly see. When building the walls up, however, I flipped the position of the strips, so that the neat-sided fold was shown on the outside of the bowl (which means the neat side was found on the bottom edge of the strip)
Here it is done! The diameter of the lip of the bowl measures 10 1/2 inches. The height of the bowl came to 5 inches.
View flipped over.
I used almost one Woman's Day magazine, one William-Sonoma catalog and probably 1/2 of a Martha Stewart's Living Magazine. Next time I will omit Woman's Day, as I realized I don't really like the colors of the inks, and the paper seems low quality. I liked the sheen of the Williams-Sonoma catalog, and the colors seemed more organic. It would be fun to be more conscious of a color scheme next time.
My BOWL! A few hours of work was well worth it for this lovely utilitarian piece of art that cost pretty much nothing! I like that!

Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. omg, you made one! I LOVE these and it's been on my to-do list for sooooo long! Looks awesome. Love it! Great job :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissy! I had seen a vase made out of magazines awhile ago at a friend's house. I thought it was the coolest thing. So glad to have stumbled upon the tutorial. You should try one! It was a lot of fun! With good return (in satisfaction) on investment (of labor)! :)

      Delete
  2. I have seen these around and never tried amking one. thanks for the reminder! i shall pin and hope to be enthused!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! I saw something like this a few years ago at an art show and I have always wished I would have bought it- now I can make my own!
    Thanks!!

    p.s. visiting from TGIF :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to try this, but I could never find good directions. So now I have no excuse! Thank you for sharing this! I'm really excited to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your site and I have added myself as a new follower thru GFC! You can visit me here if you like...
    www.leadinglittlehearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for linking up this ebautiful creation to our 'Made Wit Love' party!
    I will share it on FB and pin it :)

    Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow thats such a cute project..perfect for any corner in the home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am stunned. This looks amazing! I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG... What a fabulous idea.. You've made this look amazing.. wow!! wow!! Loved this.. and am now bookmarking it to return .. someday!! and attempt to make it..

    Thank you for linking into Made with love.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great upcycle project. I have tons of magazines, and I'm sure everyone on earth does. A great craft for older children also. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments! Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you think!