April Showers bring May Flowers: Springtime Tissue art


This adorable Springtime craft is the perfect activity to do with children as we enter April. Flower-shaped tissue paper glued down onto an umbrella shape represents the sentiment "April Showers bring May Flowers". I found this adorable activity via Crafty Crow. The post is from Everything except the Grill. I used it for inspiration, but like most things in life, I deviated from the original directions and did it slightly off kilter. :) I liked that this craft represented the quintessential Spring...with all its rain that inevitably brings the colorful flowers, in abundance. And believe me, we in Oregon, know the wet weather very well...in Springtime, and all throughout Winter too.




Materials we used:
  • Paper plates cut into an umbrella shape
  • tissue paper in all different colors, cut into flower shapes
  • a paintbrush
  • Sta-flo liquid starch
  1. Have child cover the whole umbrella with liquid starch (with the paint brush).
  2. Then have them cover the umbrella by pressing the flowers flat onto the plate. I have them do this one flower at a time. Encourage them to overlap the pieces.
  3. Have the kids brush more liquid starch over the tissue paper flowers every once in a while to flatten it out.  
  4. All done! Wait to dry and hang up!

 


Keeping with the theme of "Umbrellas" I found a treasure of a book from the library to read with my students alongside this craft.   The Yellow Umbrella, By Dong Il Sheen & Jae-Soo Liu, is a precious gem that is a must-have for any children's book collection.


A CD of beautiful piano music comes with the book, and is to be played along while the successive pages are turned. The book doesn't have words, rather it is through the music one can "hear" the story. The children at the preschool looked on in awe, as the pages were shown. It was lovely in an auditory way, as well as visual...beautiful paintings grace each page. I highly recommend this book!

If you liked this post and you want to stay informed of more kid activity ideas I post or find around the blogosphere, remember to "like" me on my Facebook Page! Thank you! Have a wonderful day!
Have fun, and thanks for visiting!


Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Carolyn, what a wonderful craft and I just requested the book from the library. Thank you for sharing at Happy Family Times. This is certainly a craft that could be done as a family as well as an adventure in the rain. I think I may plan it for one. Thank you for your kind note and no worries. We actually just started doing the family oriented link party and many people link up crafts by mistake. I hope you have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute are the umbrellas!! Love the colours and texture :-) Thanks so much for sharing on Happy Family Times, warmly, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I'll have to try it with my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable craft, love the showers and flowers combo! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this. It's so pretty!! Thanks for sharing this on Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land..hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! We have that book! What a fun idea to go with it, thanks! And from Alissa and Maggy, thanks for sharing at Kids Get Crafty :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will look great on a bulletin board. Thanks for sharing with the Kids Co-op!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! We just got Yellow Umbrella out of the library. I need to sit down with her to listen to the CD and go through the book still. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you are having a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute ! We live in the Pacific NW, so we know all too well about April showers. Thanks for the craft idea !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this activity and really appreciate the tie in to literature! Going to request that book at our library. Found you through the Saturday Share at ICTMC. I'm a new fan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi:) I found so many fun things to do on your blog that I made of list of a few things I need to pick up so we can do them!!! Since I found your site because of this post, I thought I'd comment here:) You've given us lots of fun things to do, thanks so much for sharing all these great, easy crafts!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely rainy day spring craft! Thank you so much for sharing this with our spring carnival. :)

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments! Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you think!