Colorful window art on contact paper




This activity was inspired in part by Teach Preschool's post here and my determination to do something with the leftover plastic report covers from my post on Shamrock Color Viewers.

This activity was a BLAST! It was VERY ENGAGING and FUN! (I happen to know,  because after watching my son be in complete bliss partaking in it, I just had to jump in on the action!) Believe me and Beware! It is a little addicting!). I think this activity is suitable from toddler-age kids all the way up to 10 years, or even older! It was lovely to see the daylight shine through from behind and enhance the color.

The best part (that is, for the parent or teacher, who doesn't participate. LOL!) is that it was super easy to set up AND there was hardly any clean up!

Materials needed:
  • Colored transparent plastic sheets in different colors (I used plastic report covers that I found at the college bookstore in town)
  • Clear contact paper
  • Packing tape
  • black electrical tape (optional)
  • scissors
Preparation: Adult tapes sheet of contact paper onto window, and peels off backing so that the sticky side is facing out.  Also adults cut report covers into strips, or in different shapes - circles, stars, squares, squiggles, etc. - it is, of course, open ended...


Have child start sticking colored plastic onto sticky surface. Let him or her explore designs, and placement. I was pleased to observe my son sink into a semi-trance as he carefully considered the placement of each piece - placing one for a moment in a certain spot, and then lifting it up only to place it somewhere else.


After some time had past, interestingly, I noticed that Bode had consistently placed the strips either vertically or horizontally, which gave me the opportunity to talk about what those words mean (surprisingly enough to me, he knew already...go figure!).


As I observed him being very involved and noticing things on his own, like how the overlapping colors made a different color, I found myself taking a backseat to his own self-motivated learning process; like for instance, it was he who was telling me "LOOK Mom, Look what happens when I put this one over this one! (TRANSLATION: the red over this blue makes this super cool purple!).





The Artist's work is done! The furry onlooker is none-too-pleased though, I am sure, as the artwork didn't miraculously spout out any kitty treats its way!

I am very pleased with the new "artwork" decorating our home. I put a black border of electrical tape around it so that it has a more finished look to it. I think it will grace our house for awhile to come.

If you liked this post and you want to stay informed of more kid activity ideas I post or find around the blogosphere, remember to "like" me on my Facebook Page! Thank you! Have a wonderful day!


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. We just did this project this morning! I too was inspired by Teach Preschool. Bobo said, "We can leave this here after we sleep and after church, forever."

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! It's one of those perfect activities in all ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Looks fantastic against the light.

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy & Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! It reminds me of the light table activities I've been pinning on Pinterest.

    I'd love it if you'd link up to my linky party at www.becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com. I write three blogs; my homelife blog, kindergarten blog, and literacy blog. I know you're a child centered person, so if you'd like to check them out, you can find links to all three at www.homeiswheremystorybegins.com.

    Hope to see you soon! Glad I found your blog!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool activity - I love contact paper (called Sticky Back Plastic in the UK) and have a roll that I have brought recently but yet to use it just waiting for some inspiration to hit.

    Thank you for linking up to Tuesday Tots this week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project! It can't get easier than this. Those plastic sheets made the window look like a couture window. Hehehe. And the best part about this project is that it's child-friendly. I'll definitely try making this with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic...what a great project, looks fun and also a great learning opportunity. Can't wait to try it out with my boys!!!
    Davina

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments! Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you think!